Article One - NAME
The name of this organization is the University of Michigan Club of Michiana, hereinafter referred to as UMCM.
Article Two – PURPOSE
The UMCM is an affiliate of, and chartered by, the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM), an educational, non-profit membership organization of graduates and friends of the University of Michigan. The club and AAUM bring alumni together in support of each other and to promote the objectives of the University of Michigan through the establishment and maintenance of contact among the University, its graduates, and present and prospective students.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
The UMCM membership is a benefit of membership in AAUM without additional payment of dues. The classes of AAUM membership are:
- Regular Members. Regular members of the Association shall consist of all persons who have been regularly enrolled in a degree-granting program at the University of Michigan for one semester or more, or have been designated as Honorary Alumni or granted an Honorary Degree by the Regents of the University, and who have paid membership dues to the Association for the current year in such amount as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association (hereafter referred to as Board) or who have become paid life members.
- Associate Members. Associate members of the Association shall consist of all persons (excluding those qualified as Regular Members) who have shown an active or vital interest in the University of Michigan and the Alumni Association, and who have paid membership dues to the Association for the current year in such amount as may be prescribed by the Board or who have become paid life members.
Article Four - AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Articles of Association.
University of Michigan Club of Michiana
Adopted January 10, 2006
Supersedes any and all previous Bylaws
Section One – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The UMCM shall be governed by a Board of Officers and Directors (hereinafter the “Board”) who are elected by the general membership at the June Annual Meeting.
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan.
Section Two – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
New Officers and Directors shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee four (4) weeks prior to the June Annual Meeting of the membership and presented to the Board for approval by a majority vote of the Board members present at the July Board meeting. Self-nominations for Director will be allowed. The nominations shall be affirmed by a majority vote of the general members at the June Annual Meeting.
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of the UMCM, who are members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan.
The Board shall consist of the following:
- Four officers: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer whose general responsibilities are listed in Addenda A.
- From three (3) to fifteen (15) Directors, as determined by the board, whose general responsibilities are listed in Addenda B.
- The Board may, subject to the foregoing limitations, increase the size of the Board by appointing such additional Directors as the Board sees fit. Such appointments shall be by a majority vote of the Directors. Such appointed Directors shall serve from the date of their appointment to the Annual Meeting subsequent to their appointment, at which time they will stand for election. The time served by an appointed director prior to election shall not count as a term of office as defined in Section Three below.
- The Immediate Past President shall be a voting member of the Board. Other past presidents may be ad hoc non-voting members of the Board.
Section Three - TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
UMCM Officers are elected for a two (2) year term as an officer and may be re-elected for one (1) additional term for a total of four (4) consecutive years of service to the same office. There is an eight consecutive year maximum for any person to serve as an officer.
UMCM Directors are elected for a two (2) year term and may be re-elected.
If an Officer or Director should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, the President, with concurrence of a majority of the Board, may replace that Officer or Director for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
If the President resigns before the end of his or her term, the Vice President shall assume the role of President, and with concurrence of a majority of the Board, may replace the Vice President for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
Section Four - QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the Board shall consist of at least one-half (1/2) of the Board members with at least one (1) Officer in attendance. Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum except for amendment of the Bylaws.
Section Five - COMMITTEES
The UMCM has one (2) standing committees: The Elbel Scholarship Committee, and the Nominating Committee. General responsibilities for committees are listed in the accompanying addendum. Ad hoc committees may also be created as deemed needed by the Board. The Board shall elect, from their membership, the chair of each committee. Each committee chair shall select the members of the committee. Committee members must be Association members.
Section Six - MEETINGS
The Annual UMCM Membership Meeting shall be held each year in June at a date, time, and location as the Board or President may designate, with proper notice being sent to all UMCM members. Such notice shall accompany the notice of the election of Officers and Directors.
There shall be at least four (4) meetings of the Board each year. Additional meetings of the Board may be called when deemed necessary by the President or any three (3) members of the Board.
Notice of any Board meetings may be provided by e-mail, or with mailed notice, provided such notice is given at least seven days prior to said meeting.
Any UMCM member in good standing may attend any meeting of the Board. The Board, however, may choose to meet in executive session.
Section Seven – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the UMCM shall be from July1 to June 30.
Section Eight - RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in the UMCM meetings.
Section Nine - BYLAWS
The Bylaws and Addenda shall be adopted for the governance of the UMCM by a majority of the Board. A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Bylaws. A majority vote of the quorum of the Board is required to amend the Addenda.
University of Michigan Club of Michiana
Adopted January 10, 2006
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of the UMCM officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for the UMCM
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, By-Laws, and Addenda as needed
The President’s responsibilities include:
- Supervising and coordinating UMCM activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board and the Annual Meeting of the Membership
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by club’s bylaws
- Ensuring the completion of the UMCM Annual Report for the AAUM
- Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the UMCM and their respective chairpersons
- Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
- Presiding over the UMCM meetings in the absence of the President
- Ensuring that the term limits described in the UMCM bylaws are adhered to by the Officers and Directors of the Board
- Serving as a resource for the Chairs of the committee(s), and participating in associated activities as needed.
- Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Giving notice of the UMCM Board meetings
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes at Board and special meetings and at the Annual Meeting of the Membership
- Maintaining a permanent record of all UMCM proceedings
- Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
- Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association, Bylaws and Addenda of the UMCM.
- Taking attendance at UMCM Board meetings
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
- Receiving all funds paid to the UMCM
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating and scholarship funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
- Transferring financial records to the successor treasurer no later than the two weeks following the Annual Meeting at which such successor is elected.
- Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
- Serving as a resource for the Director(s) of (1) Scholarship Awards and (2) Fundraising, participating in associated activities as needed
IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT
The Immediate Past President’s responsibility is:
- Chair the Nominating Committee
Directors’ responsibilities include:
- Serving as liaisons among the UMCM leadership, the membership, and the community at large
- Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
- Assisting the Officers in the administration of the UMCM and in volunteer identification and recruitment
- Attending Board meetings on a regular basis
- Attending club events on a regular basis
- Contributing to the work of at least one standing or ad hoc committee
The following committees exist or are contemplated by the UMCM. Ad hoc committees may also be created as deemed needed by the Board.
The Board shall elect, from their membership, the chair of each committee. Each committee chair shall select the members of the committee. Committee members must be Association members.
The chair(s) for each committee shall be responsible for submitting financial goals, including budgets, in writing to the Treasurer throughout each fiscal year. The financial goals are to be reviewed and rejected, accepted, or accepted with modifications by the Board.
Elbel Scholarship Committee
The Chair of the Elbel Scholarship Committees shall conduct committee meetings, interview (with other committee members) students who apply for Elbel Scholarships, award such scholarships by majority vote of the committee, and hold such functions regarding Elbel Scholarships as the Board of Directors may authorize; and shall perform such other duties as these By-Laws, the Board or the President may prescribe.
Marketing and Communications Committee
Members of this committee include the Net Forum Database Administrator, Website Administrator, and Contributing Editor. The responsibilities of the Marketing and Communications Committee include coordinating the communication and marketing strategies for the UMCM and assisting other committees with creation and execution of flyers, postcards, and other mailers.
Website Administrator responsibilities include:
- Managing and updating the content of the website as requested by the Board and the Contributing Editor
Contributing Editor responsibilities include:
- Writing text for the UMCM website, listserv messages and Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting UMCM monthly submissions to Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting information for the AAUM website event calendar
- Writing text for and coordinating supplemental and other AAUM sponsored paper mailings
Michigan Alumni Connections (MAC) Database Administrator responsibilities include:
- Updating alumni information for the UMCM on a regular basis
- Running queries to download alumni information
- Updating and maintaining the club’s listserv
The responsibilities of the Membership Committee include:
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome alumni moving to the UMCM area
- Planning, with the Programming Committee, an annual welcoming event for new members
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome relocating alumni to the club’s area
- Creating strategies, with the Alumni Association, to market the value proposition of membership to members
- Leading Board recruitment efforts to identify volunteers to serve on committees and to join the Board
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee
- Insuring that AAUM membership materials and volunteer sign-up sheets are available at UMCM events
The Chair of the Nominating Committee shall be the Immediate Past President of the UMCM.
The responsibilities of the Nominating Committee include:
- Soliciting nominees for Officer and Director positions by canvassing current board members and collaborating with the Marketing and Communications Committee to develop a strategy to make opportunities for leadership known to the general membership
- Presenting a slate of nominees, through the Immediate Past President who serves as chair of the Nominating Committee, to the Board of Directors for Officer and Director positions.
The responsibilities of the Programming Committee include:
- Leading the UMCM Programs Planning meeting, scheduled annually in March, where a diverse calendar of events for the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) are identified
- Presenting the proposed calendar of events to the Board for approval at the July Board meeting
- Planning, arranging and coordinating events for the UMCM
- Establishing financial and operational objectives for UMCM events
- Determining subcommittees and electing subcommittee chairs that best fulfill the annual programming goals of the UMCM. Ensuring that the Communications Committee is informed of all events with sufficient time to make sure members are notified of events and encouraged to attend
- Collecting informal feedback from event attendees and informing the Board of “lessons learned” from each event
- Insuring that at least one representative on the Programming committee attends events that are planned by the committee
Student Relations Committee
The responsibilities of the Student Relations Committee include:
- Assisting in the recruiting of students for the University of Michigan
- Recruiting volunteers for the Alumni Association's adopt-a-school program
- Contacting high school guidance counselors within the UMCM area
- Developing and coordinating a student send-off reception for newly admitted students, information sessions, and a “conversion” party for accepted students
- Disseminating scholarship information and materials to UM students in the UMCM
- Serving as liaison to the UM Office of Financial Aid
Young Alumni Committee
The responsibilities of the Young Alumni Committee include:
- Advising the Board when necessary to amend the definition of “young alumni”, which is currently defined by year of graduation
- Serving as the single point of contact for initiating and responding to young alumni communications
Assisting the Programming Committee in developing programs and events focused on engaging young alumni, including identifying young alumni to serve as volunteers for young alumni events and events involving local high school students