The U-M Club of Miami Fort Lauderdale is made up of more than 2,500 U-M alumni living in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. We host a diverse calendar of social, educational, professional, cultural, athletic, and community service events and programs throughout the year designed to bring the Michigan spirit to South Florida and give members the opportunity to share your U-M pride with other local alumni. We also have a student outreach and scholarship program benefiting future and current Wolverines from the Miami Fort Lauderdale area.
Below are some examples of the wide variety of programs and activities the association sponsors:
- Frequent and timely career and networking events, including periodic Go BLUE @ Work panel discussions featuring prominent alumni professionals speaking on careers in specific industries; Wolverines after Work happy hours for alumni professionals; and power networking events.
- Cultural events, including art exhibits, museum tours, theatre outings, outdoor classical concerts, and fairs.
- Sports-related activities, attendance at U-M sporting events in the Miami Fort Lauderdale area and at pro sporting events (e.g., Marlins games, Florida Panthers and Miami Dolphins); and U-M game-watching parties at Miami's Big House.
- Community service and philanthropic events, including volunteering at local non-profits in the Miami Fort Lauderdale area.
- Family-oriented events hosted in the city and/or suburbs, such as a trip to Zoo Miami and the Everglades, and other activities your whole family can enjoy together.
- Multiple other social events, including events designed specifically for new U-M students and recent U-M graduates.
The club has many members throughout South Florida. Having membership in the Alumni Association grants you immediate access to all events held by the club. The club is led by Officers who are elected from the general club membership. Elections are held every April and become effective in July. The Officers work on behalf of the members of the club and help in the planning of the club's activities.
Governing the actions of the Board are the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale bylaws. For more information please contact one of the officers or the club president.