Article One - NAME
The name of this organization is the University of Michigan Club of Holland, hereinafter referred to as “U-M Club of Holland”.
Article Two – PURPOSE
The U-M Club of Holland is an affiliate of, and chartered by, the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM), an educational, non-profit membership organization of graduates and friends of the University. The club and the AAUM bring alumni together to support each other and to promote the objectives of the University through the establishment and maintenance of contact among the University; its graduates; and its present, former and prospective students.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
U-M Club of Holland membership is a benefit of membership in the AAUM without additional payment of dues. The classes of AAUM membership are:
- Regular members who consist of all those who have been regularly enrolled in a degree granting program at the University for one semester or more and of Michigan have paid current annual or life dues to the AAUM.
- Associate members who consist of all persons, excluding those qualified as regular members, who have shown an active or vital interest in the University ofMichigan and the AAUM and who have paid current annual or life dues to the AAUM.
Article Four – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The U-M Club of Holland shall be governed by a Board of Officers and Directors (hereinafter referred to as the “Board”) who are elected by the general membership at the Annual Meeting. Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the AAUM.
Article Five – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
New Officers and Directors shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee six weeks prior to the Annual Meeting and presented to the Board for approval by a majority vote of the Board members present at the Board meeting that immediately precedes the Annual Meeting. Nominations shall be affirmed by a majority vote of the general members at the Annual Meeting.
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of the U-M Club of Holland, who are members of the AAUM. The Board shall consist of the following:
- Four (4) Officers who also serve as Directors: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum A
- Nine (9) Directors whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum B
- The Immediate Past President (non-voting member ex officio)
Article Six - BYLAWS
The Bylaws shall be adopted for the governance of the U-M Club of Holland by a majority of the Board.
Article Seven - AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Articles of Association.
Section One - TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
U-M Club of Holland Officers are elected for a one (1) year term and may be re-elected for two (2) additional terms for a total of three (3) consecutive years of service in a single office. U-M Club of Holland Directors are elected for a three (3) year term and may be re-elected for one (1) additional term for a total of six (6) consecutive years of service on the Board. No Board member, including both Officers and Directors, may serve for longer than a maximum of six (6) consecutive years on the Board. Directors who have served six (6) consecutive years on the Board are eligible for re-election to the Board after a period of one (1) year off the Board. If a Director should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, that Director will solicit a replacement who, with concurrence of a majority of the Board, will replace that Director for the remainder of the un-expired term. If the Director who resigns is also the President, the Vice President shall assume the role of President, and the Board by majority vote will appoint a Director to complete the term of office of the Vice President until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above. If the Director who resigns is also an Officer other than the President, the Board by majority vote will appoint another Director to complete the term of office until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
Section Two - QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the Board shall consist of a minimum of five (5) Board members and include at least one (1) Officer. Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Three – COMMITTEES
The U-M Club of Holland has two (2) standing committees: the Nominating Committee and the Scholarship and Student Relations Committee. General responsibilities for these committees are listed in Addendum C. The Board may establish other standing or ad hoc committees as needed. Examples of other such committees are listed in Addendum D and include general responsibilities for such committees.
Section Four - MEETINGS
The Annual Meeting of the U-M Club of Holland shall be held at specified date, time, and location in April or May of each year as the Board or President may designate with proper notice being sent to all members. Any member in good standing may attend. Such notice shall accompany the notice of the election of Officers and Directors. There shall be at least four (4) other meetings of the Board each year. Additional meetings of the Board may be called when deemed necessary by the President or any three members of the Board. Notice of such meeting may be provided by e-mail, or with mailed notice, provided such notice is given at least seven (7) days prior to said meeting.
Section Five - RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in the U-M Club of Holland meetings.
Section Six - AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Bylaws.
ADDENDUM (A) RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICER POSITIONS Officers
The responsibilities of the U-M Club of Holland officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for the U-M Club of Holland
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, Bylaws, and Addenda as needed
The President’s responsibilities shall include:
- Supervising and coordinating U-M Club of Holland activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by the club’s bylaws
- Ensuring the completion of the U-M Club of Holland Annual Report for the AAUM
- Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the U-M Club of Holland and their respective chairpersons
- Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations
The Vice President’s responsibilities shall include:
- Presiding over the U-M Club of Holland meetings in the absence of the President
- Chairing the Nominating Committee
- Ensuring that the term limits described in the U-M Club of Holland bylaws are adhered to by the Officers and Directors of the Board
- Serving as a resource for the Chairs of the club committees and participating in associated activities as needed
- Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
- The Secretary’s responsibilities shall include: Giving notice of the U-M Club of Holland Board meetings
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes for Board and special meetings
- Maintaining a permanent record of all U-M Club of Holland proceedings
- Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
- Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association, Bylaws, and Addenda of the U-M Club of Holland
- Taking attendance at U-M Club of Holland Board meetings
The Treasurer’s responsibilities shall include:
- Receiving all funds paid to the U-M Club of Holland
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating and scholarship funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
- Transferring financial records to the current treasurer no later than the next Board Meeting following the election of the current treasurer.
- Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
- Serving as a resource for (1) Scholarship Awards & Student Relations and (2) Fundraising programs, and participating in associated activities as needed
ADDENDUM (B) RESPONSIBILITIES OF DIRECTOR POSITIONS
Directors’ responsibilities shall include:
- Serving as liaisons among the U-M Club of Holland leadership, the membership, and the community at large
- Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
- Assisting the Officers in the administration of the U-M Club of Holland and in volunteer identification and recruitment
- Attending Board meetings on a regular basis
- Attending club events on a regular basis
- Contributing to the work of at least one standing or ad hoc committee
ADDENDUM (C) STANDING COMMITTEES
The Chair(s) for each committee shall be responsible for submitting financial goals, including budgets, in writing to the Treasurer throughout each fiscal year. The financial goals are to be reviewed and rejected, accepted, or accepted with modifications by the Board.
The responsibilities of the Nominating Committee shall include:
- Soliciting nominees for Officer and Director positions by canvassing current board members and making opportunities for leadership known to the general membership.
- Presenting a slate of nominees, through the Vice President who serves as chair of the Nominating Committee, to the Board of Directors for Officer and Director positions.
Scholarship & Student Relations Committee
The responsibilities of the Scholarship and Student Relations Committee shall include:
- Assisting in the recruiting of students for the University of Michigan
- Developing and coordinating a student send-off reception for newly admitted students,information sessions, and a “conversion” party for accepted students
- Disseminating scholarship information and materials to U-M students in the U-M Club of Holland area
- Awarding scholarships to students from the U-M Club of Holland area
- Serving as liaison to the U-M Office of Financial Aid
ADDENDUM (D) EXAMPLES OF ADDITIONAL STANDING OR AD HOC COMMITTEES
Marketing and Communications CommitteeMembers of this committee include the MAC Database Administrator, the Website Administrator, and the Contributing Editor. The responsibilities of the Marketing and Communications Committee include coordinating the communication and marketing strategies for the U-M Club of Holland and assisting other committees with the creation and execution of flyers, postcards, and other mailers. Website Administrator responsibilities shall include:
- Managing and updating the content of the website as requested by the Board and the Contributing Editor
Contributing Editor responsibilities shall include:
- Writing text for the U-M Club of Holland website, listserv messages and Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting U-M Club of Holland monthly submissions to Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting information for the AAUM website event calendar
- Writing text for and coordinating supplemental and other AAUM sponsored paper mailings
Michigan Alumni Connections (MAC) Database Administrator responsibilities shall include:
- Updating alumni information for the U-M Club of Holland on a regular basis
- Running queries to download alumni information
- Updating and maintaining the club’s listserv
- The responsibilities of the Membership Committee shall include:Creating and executing strategies to welcome alumni moving to the U-M Club of Holland area
- Planning, with the Programming Committee (if such committee has been established), an annual welcoming event each August or September for new members
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome relocating alumni to the club’s area
- Creating strategies, with the Alumni Association, to market the value proposition of membership to members
- Leading Board recruitment efforts to identify volunteers to serve on committees and to join the Board
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee
- Insuring that AAUM membership materials and volunteer sign-up sheets are available at U-M Club of Holland events
The responsibilities of the Programming Committee shall include:
- Identifying a diverse program of events in a variety of categories, e.g., athletic, community service, cultural, educational, family, scholarship, social, and student recruitment events
- Presenting the proposed events to the Board for approval
- Planning, arranging and coordinating events for the U-M Club of Holland
- Establishing financial and operational objectives for U-M Club of Holland events
- Determining subcommittees and electing subcommittee chairs that best fulfill the programming goals of the U-M Club of Holland
- Ensuring that the Communications Committee (if such committee has been established) is informed of all events with sufficient time to make sure members are notified of events and encouraged to attend
- Collecting informal feedback from event attendees and informing the Board of “lessons learned” from each event
- Insuring that at least one representative on the Programming committee attends events that are planned by the committee
Young Alumni Committee
The responsibilities of the Young Alumni Committee shall include:
- Advising the Board when necessary to amend the definition of “young alumni”, which is currently defined by year of graduation
- Serving as the single point of contact for initiating and responding to young alumni communications
- Assisting the Programming Committee (if such committee has been established) in developing programs and events focused on engaging young alumni, including identifying young alumni to serve as volunteers for young alumni events and events involving local high school students
- Contacting high school guidance counselors within the U-M Club of Holland area